We have now received four boxes from Mike’s Garden Harvest as part of our CSA membership. It is fun to see what is in each new box and I love having food delivered to my door! One of our boxes included some little carrots which were so tasty and fresh I didn’t want to cook them. Instead we grated them into a Carrot & Cumin salad which went nicely with a Thai Pork Green Curry.
With a large bunch of chubby spring onions to enjoy I made several Farm Fresh Omelettes using the following ingredients and method. For one omelette:
- Chop coursely four spring onions and six swiss chard leaves.
- Saute spring onions and chard in skillet with vegetable oil until onions begin to turn gold and chard withers.
- Beat two eggs with a fork, add a tablespoon of milk or water.
- Pour eggs over onions and chard.
- While eggs cook sprinkle chopped fresh chives, oregano and thyme plus a sprinkle of salt and pepper over the top.
- When base of omelette is lightly browned top with grated cheese and sliced grape tomatoes.
- Brown the top of the omelette under the broiler.
We have a few herbs growing in our own garden so when some basil turned up in the mystery box I combined it with some of our own and made Marcella Hazan’s
Simple Tomato Sauce for 450g (1lb) pasta
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves peeled and sliced very thinly
300g tinned Italian peeled plum tomatoes
Salt & Black pepper
10 fresh basil leaves torn by hand into small pieces
- Put oil and garlic in a saucepan and turn to medium
- When garlic turns pale gold, add tomatoes and turn heat to very low. Cook uncovered until oil floats free of tomatoes, about 20 minutes.
- Add salt and grindings of pepper and cook another 2-3 minnutes, stirring from time to time.
- Off the heat, stir in the torn basil leaves.
This week’s box included more than enough green beans for our family of five so I chose Jamie Oliver’s Good Old French Bean Salad to have with sausages one night.