It’s that time of year again. Dressember is the month of the year when I will join thousands of advocates around the world in a campaign to make a difference in the fight to end modern day slavery.
This is the third year I have participated in Dressember and, although it is a cold month to be wearing a dress every day it ends up being a simple choice for me. If I can make a difference in the fight against human trafficking by pulling out dresses instead of jeans then I will. I need your help though. I have a fundraising page where you can donate to the campaign. I am posting about the campaign here on my blog as well as on instagram and pinterest; please share my posts with others who might be want to be involved.
In 2014 I raised $1200, in 2017 I raised just over $1500 and in 2018 I am aiming for $1800! This year, just to mix things up a little I am going to wear the same dress for several days in a row, styling it a little differently each day until I run out of ideas and switch to another dress. We will see how that goes. I’m starting with a dress I made in Australia so it must be about twenty years old. That doesn’t make it vintage but perhaps it counts as retro!
Back in 2014 I participated in Dressember, a campaign to raise funds to end human trafficking. Once again I have committed to wear dresses every day of December for the same worthy cause. Wearing a dress every day can get a little chilly here in Canada and tends to look a little fancier than my usual jeans and sweaters so it does prompt some conversation. Wearing dresses all month is my kind of a challenge though; I like fashion, I make dresses, so combined with such an vital cause, it’s a good fit for me. This year my daughter, Alexandra and our friend, Nan have teamed up with me and our goal is to raise $2500
The challenge is certainly not to wear a different dress everyday, some participants wear the same dress all 31 days! The campaign is about freedom and justice.
Dressember equips a community of advocates to fight for the dignity of all people, leading to the protection and freedom of millions.
Check back here during the month to see how I am going with my fundraising or click over to my fundraising page to help me meet my goal. Right now our team has raised 13% of our $2500.
I am updating my instagram and pinterest accounts to show ‘proof of dress’ and will be back to post some photos here on the blog also.
Our first unit in the new year was pottery. We spent three mornings at a pottery studio with a wonderful pottery teacher and the resulting creations were very impressive. As there were just three participants for this unit each student had a wheel to use. On the first week all three made several pots.
During the second class they trimmed the pots, tidying up rough edges and putting a “foot” on the bottom if desired. They also had time to make things by hand if they wished.
The final class was spent glazing which took a while as there were many pots and numerous choices for designs and combinations. We were all excited to see the finished products after their final firing.
B11 has spent hours creating a stop animation lego version of “The Hunger Games” Trailer.
Before Christmas we did a short three week unit of coloured pencil drawing. We used both watercolour and wax or oil based coloured pencils. Just as my art teachers had done I had my class drawing fruit. Fruit are a manageable subject to be completed in a short time frame. Even though the time was relatively short I stressed that the longer we spent building up colour with the non watercolour pencils the more depth and realism we could achieve. It was not just colouring in a sketch.
Our warm up exercises before drawing the fruit were to complete several solids concentrating on the light and dark areas, shadows and shading.
The final technique in our printing unit was monoprinting, so called because no two prints are ever the same.
We used leaves and grasses which were readily available outside. (It was a while ago, before the snow came). We tried different methods for making a print including applying ink directly to the leaves, rolling ink on glass then lifting it with the leaves and taking a negative print after the ink had been lifted. The detail we were able to achieve in the veins on the leaves was surprising.
Our children have made some fairly elaborate gingerbread houses with friends over the years. This year B11 and I went back to basics with a yummy little gluten free cottage.
Houses made in previous years:
2007 Lighthouse and Little House on the Prairie