A10 has created some sweet treats and cards for her friends. Last night she made the peppermint creams with a little help from her sister. I think I made these as a child too.
To make about 25 peppermint creams, you will need:
250g icing sugar
half the white of an egg
1 teaspoon peppermint essence
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl
2. Mix egg white, peppermint essence and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour the mixture into the sugar
3. Use a blunt knife to stir the mixture. Then squeeze it between your fingers until it is smooth, like a dough.
4. Divide the mixture if you want to make different colours. Add a drop of colour to each bowl. Use your fingers to mix in the dye.
5. Sprinkle a little icing sugar onto a clean work surface. Sprinkle some onto a rolling pin and roll out the mixture until it is about 1/4″ thick. Use cutters to cut out shapes.
6. Place shapes onto a baking sheet covered in plastic wrap. Leave for an hour to harden.
A10’s Nanna remembers the occasions ofmaking those sweets and HD can remember eating and enjoying them.
Howver, it is unlikely that they would be acceptable today; Look at all that sugar, says Nanna.